Fishing Report - 11/7/2018

Not from this day. This was from recent trip to Lousianna. At the dock spotted this funny looking dead catfish. looks like he choked on a redfish. look close and you can see a blue crab chomping on the tail of the redfish

Some people keep fishing journals. I could never get into that. Thought occured to me, why not post a personal fishing report. It's really just for me to keep track of what I was doing when.

I went to Conchas lake on this day. Arrived about 7am and departed at 3pm. Launched on the south ramp. Heading out in the direction of the dam I noticed I was only in 21' of water. Further inspection on my lake chart revealed that I was on a mid lake hump. Stuff was appearing on sonar so I figured I'd give it a try.

I pulled out my N-One rigged light with drop shot and strung on a gulp 3" watermelon/pearl white worm. Got hit right away and soon landed 1st of over 20 white bass. For the next two hours I was all over white bass. Fish were in the 14" to 16" range. I think I could have stayed on them but it was time to go explore some other stuff. I moved over to another hump a bit closer to the dam. Not much action but I did find a bluegill. I always wondered where they go in the cold season.

I went to the Conchas triangle and continued to drop shot. Wasn't long and I hit a couple smallies. I worked my way over to the west canyon wall. Out of the blue I decided to rig a shaky head. I used a fintec 7/16 head and watermelon gulp 6" worm. Got hit pretty quick and hooked up another smallie.

At this time I was ready to try fly rod float and fly. I rigged a 9 foot leader and was using a thill pencil style float. It was a good thing too, a couple cast later and I watched the float stand up just for a second then fell over again. Could a fish just picked it up. I took up the slack and sure enough it came solid. I landed a solid 14" smallie. I continued with float and fly for awhile but no more strikes. I worked on both sides of the canyon.

Wind started to come up and it was getting close to the time to leave. I went over and worked the dam for a bit and also tried to go back to the white bass hump from that morning. Didn't get much going on. A few not committal strikes was about it. I called it a day.

Got back to truck and had a notice on windshield for day pass. Just a note, they're still checking even this late in the year. I purchased the pass on my way out.

It was really assume to find those white bass on this day. It make me want to go back and continue to work on that pattern. Will they still be there, I have no idea. But I want to know.

I didn't go up into the lake arms this day because the water has been pretty cloudy from recent rains. I still should at least went to see if it has settled out at all.